Spotify makes a connection between video games and music
Game fans will say it’s hard to immerse themselves in video games without music and they often turn to Spotify to liven up their games. While these two universes aren’t necessarily linked, they are inextricably linked with listening to the above: French Rap, the number 1 music genre in France for several years now.
Music and video games are two inseparable universes
Gamers listen to music to focus and perform while playing video games. Over the last 6 months, more than 52 million hours of streamed music on gaming platforms Discord, PlayStation and Xbox on Spotify in France. On Discord it is 327,497 hours streamed music, Number of Playstations 42,243,411 hours listening and platforms Xbox is recording 10,267,240 listening hours.
To celebrate this is Spotify France, with streamers Amina (@aminematue) was held on January 19 and for the first time “vans”an unprecedented event, bringing together game players like squeeze, Billy (@RebeuDeter) and Stainless Labels, as well as French rap artists such as Dinos, Soso Maness and Niska, to participate under the supervision of the general public in a new game tournament (Best of Five). The event that was held last night at studio 128 in Plaine Saint Denis was a huge hit, and welcomed nearly 300 video game fans to the scene. For those who weren’t able to register in time to participate, the evening was broadcast live on the Twitch channel of Amine (@aminematue), one of the most followed streamers in France and for this event hosting (1.9 million subscribers on Twitch and 1.3 million on YouTube). The evening ended with the appearance of three popular rappers of the younger generation.
As mentioned by the rapper dinosaur during the event: “This is my first time attending a live like this, I didn’t realize how hard the work was, thank you so much, thank you to everyone who organized!”.
Returns shared by the streamer squeeze : “When I arrived I said to myself wow! And I love the party in the van”
Julie Combe, Spotify Senior Marketing Manager in Francecomment: “We are always interested in promoting a closer relationship between artists and their fans, in fact that is our main motivation. We also believe that music is expressed and lived through many areas, of which games are one. This event is a perfect illustration of this: creating a bridge between two tightly connected worlds by bringing together the best of rap and gaming and creating IRL moments and digital entertainment for fans.”
French rap, player’s ally
French rap, which is one of the most popular music genres in France, is doing well once again. Jul, the most listened to artist on Spotify France in 2022 is also the most listened to artist on the gaming platform by French gamers. Marseille players count in total 42,435,030 hours of listening across three gaming platforms. Rappers Gas takes second place in this ranking, with 29,088,975 hours of listening, followed by Ninhorecorded 25,383,045 listening hours.
Below are the top 3 most-listened artists on three gaming platforms over the past 6 months in France.
Top 3 most streamed artists on PlayStation:
Top 3 most streamed artists on Xbox:
Top 3 most listened to artists on Discord:
Spotify who understands the importance of music in video games has designed several playlists for gamers.
The top 10 most listened to playlists on Spotify France in 2022 include music from video games:
- Video Game Soundtracks
- Top Game Tracks
- House of the Dragon: The Official Playlist
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Official Playlist
- Ultra Games
- Reading Adventure
- Press Radio
- In the bathroom
- Session Official Playlist
The top 10 most listened to albums whose titles have appeared on video game soundtracks:
- “Mercury – Acts 1 & 2”from Imagine Dragons
- “Minecraft – Volume Beta”of C418
- “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Original Game Soundtrack)”by Marcin Przybylowicz
- “Best Weapon: Maverick”by Lady Gaga
- “Game of Thrones: Season 6 (Music from the HBO® Series)”, by Ramin Djawadi
- “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Original Game Soundtrack”, by Jeremy Soule
- “battlecry”from Two Steps from Hell
- “House of the Dragon: Season 1 (Soundtrack of the HBO® Series)”by Ramin Djawadi
- “Game Of Thrones: Season 8 (Music from the HBO Series)”, by Ramin Djawadi
- “Robin Hood (Original Movie Soundtrack)”by Marc Streitenfeld
Among the most popular video games, FIFA remains a must, as does its soundtrack:
- over 21.2 million playlists worldwide, including at least one song featured on the FIFA 23 soundtrack.
- Swedish fans are most obsessed with FIFA, with the highest number of playlists created per user, followed by Norway, then Denmark. In short, the Nordic people have tripled!
- To date, the most popular song in FIFA 23 is “Ojitos Lindosby Bad Bunny and Bomba Estéreo.