Emmanuel Todd and Edgar Morin: The “Russian Party” raises its head!
First appearing, Edgar Morin published a short essay, “From war to war“(de L’Aube edition). The illustrious sociologist – many of us have read with great enthusiasm his famous book “La Rumor d’Orléans” published in 1969, examines a French town seized by anti-Semitism – this time playing up its age (101 years), his personal commitment (anti-Nazi resistance) and eight decades of observation, study, major political-military conflicts, for giving us a hard lesson in geopolitics without any sympathy for the Ukrainian cause. ” which is so beautiful this time endowed with solid anti-Americanism, passed on to the Ukrainian cause. In his spirit and under his pen, Washington and the White House are either responsible or guilty for universal ills in an almost ontological way. President Biden, nothing more than others, escaped this censure. But we have no doubt that this intellectual so admired and celebrated would easily succumb to Russian intoxication. For Morin became strong .
When he mentions Ukraine, beyond gross factual errors, no doubt due to a lack of solid historical documentation, Morin is invoking a major element of the language used by Russian propaganda. Example? They abound.
– This is not a war with aggressors and aggressors, the culprit – the Putin government – and the victims – the martyred Ukrainian people, but an “internal conflict”. The Kremlin, its media and social networks claim nothing more.
– There is no doubt, according to Morin, that Ukraine will restore Dombass because, if so, “the Russian-speaking population will be oppressed and suppressed.” Putin is on the stereo again. Nothing guarantees this dark prediction even if, to sociologists, it seems self-evident. As for the fate of Crimea, it needs no mention, to be discussed because it “returned” by right of Russia. According to what principle? That’s how it is, and fortune-teller Morin doesn’t deign to explain it…
– Morin also insisted on “hysterization”. We then want to believe that he woke up, that he expounded with all his authority and all his knowledge the hateful, racist, ultra-nationalist or even homophobic statements from Putin’s megaphone. Impossible! This hysterization is “reciprocal”, Russia and Ukraine are sent back to back; and that implies, this hysteria, “Manicheanism”, that is, analysis which is systematically unfavorable, hostile to Russia; and, finally, hysterization and Manichaeism together gave rise to the “prohibition to contextualize”, hence to seek excuses for “special operations”. But Edgar Morin “contextualized” it brilliantly when he had the audacity to liken Russians attacking people and Westerners “helping” Ukrainians. Again, (voluntary) confusion is a sign of a mind that has chosen sides
“World War 3 has started”
This is where the geographer Emmanuel Todd, who is also inhabited by far more virulent anti-Americanism than Morin, intervenes. He spoke in Le Figaro – a full page! – and not one or two, stating that “the 3rd world war has begun”. Oracle Todd, but we already know that, has no doubts about his genius as an astrologer. But whose fault is this “Third World War”? To Putin? Even. Todd has found the ideal actor: the West and Biden’s ‘flight forward’! Let’s read: “It is clear that the conflict, from a limited territorial war to a global economic confrontation between the entire West on the one hand and Russia supported by China on the other, has become a world war”… The West has launched a “global economic confrontation” that will Russia won by a landslide. Let’s read Todd, one more time: “Russia’s economic resistance pushed the American imperial system to the brink.” Serious? Yes seriously, because our esteemed colleague from Figaro gave Todd the royal spot. And maybe some of them don’t mind that the “Russian Party” is breathing new life.
And breath, Emmanuel Todd didn’t miss… It needs to take another take on Poutinienne’s logomachy without fail.
– Ukraine before the war? “A society that is decaying (…). It can find a new kind of balance in war and even a horizon, a hope. Russia could not foresee that”.
– The main reason why Putin declared war? “NATO’s fundamental axis is Washington-London-Warsaw-kyiv (…). Russia has announced that it will never tolerate Ukraine being a member of NATO. Therefore, they are waging a defensive and preventive war”. Todd or how to “whiten” the aggressor.
– Putin in Todd’s mouth, always: “for Russia, this is an existential question. We should not rejoice in their predicament: the harder it is, the harder they hit”. Once again, Todd seems to have found, not only an explanation for Russian ultraviolence, but also a reason.
– Certainty, finally, that Putin and his people will win the mother of all battles, namely the culture war, this ideological battle against the decadent West: “For non-Wests, Russia asserts a convincing moral conservatism (…) Russia as if repositioned as an archetype great power that is not only “anti-colonial” but also patrilineal. [traduction: anti-LGBT] and conservatives of traditional mores, can seduce further”. Todd recorded this win which he deemed inevitable without a shred of emotion or regret.
The “Russian Party” did return. That’s hardly encouraging.